• The inevitable (but profoundly silly) “Java is dead” (talios)
• The pragmatic (!) “it’ll leave room for us youngsters” (in French)
• Somewhat cynic “Oracle is helping LOTS of companies with ex-Sun’s :-)” (oemilio)
• “Gosling leaving: big symbolic impact; no practical impact. As “father of Java”, he was an absent father. (Nothing wrong with that)” (Osvaldo)
• Quite fair article (eWeek)
• Hani‘s “What’s the big deal about Gosling leaving Oracle? He didn’t actually do anything at Sun beyond be a mascot I thought?”
• “Many people stress that James Gosling was the father of Java, when obviously his greatest contribution was Gosling Emacs :D” (Berto)
• “Gosling GCd?” (Tom Stenstrom)
And to the non-Java developers searching for Gosling – “Who the hell is Ryan Gosling?” ;)
Roller (the engine powering blogs.sun.com and now James’ new blog) seems to have held up pretty well to the news and the /.’ing until Monday! Overall most people thank James for what he’s done and what he’s been throughout those 15 years. This is probably the best thing to do because as frankly I think even James doesn’t know what comes next (I certainly haven’t read anything plausible).
James now has an updated post on what comes next (nothing concrete at this point).